The public sector is collectively the largest service provider in most economies of the world. And public sector organizations (especially in Nigeria) today are under tremendous pressure to deliver an increasingly broad and complex range of services – from infrastructure development to security, safety, education, health, clean water, sanitation, land records, motor licenses, among many other public services – in a manner that is timely, effective, economical, equitable, transparent and corruption-free.
Unfortunately, despite the urgent imperative of transforming our economy into an efficient, vibrant, productive and sustainable one, all too often, well-intentioned policies and development programmes have been undermined in the past by inefficiencies, incompetence, wrong priorities, and outright graft.
The challenges facing Nigeria today require that every public institution – at Federal, State, and Local Government levels – must groom and develop managers and leaders who must understand and implement effective organizational and revolutionary strategies while maintaining drive, morale, motivation, integrity, innovation, and vision in their people and institutions. The public sector must find ways of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery because any incremental improvement in public services positively impacts millions of people.
Through this training programme, participants would learn strategies for setting and maintaining organizational goals and direction, drive change and reformation, boost learning and continuous improvement, and turn resistance and mediocrity into cooperation and excellence in every aspect of public service. Participants would gain the necessary skills and attributes required to improve productivity, enhance effectiveness, discover and maximize new opportunities in their roles and responsibilities.
It is expected that participants would leave the programme fully challenged to renew themselves for excellent public service and make new commitments to ethical and transformational leadership in their various institutions or organizations or public departments.
The key objectives of this training intervention include the following:
- To promote excellent service delivery in every aspect of public service.
- To equip today’s public service officers and leaders with the skills and attributes they require to be effective in their roles.
- To enhance budget discipline, accountability, transparency, and innovative financial resources management in public service.
- To engender extra-ordinary commitment and devotion to organizational vision and mission by all employees and partners.
- Champion transformational and courageous leadership at all levels to drive growth and developmental initiatives.
- Improve the strategic management of all activities of the public service.
- Promote the effective communication and presentation of policies and programmes of the Organization.
- To foster well-motivated, productive and performance-driven individuals and teams.
- To enable participants gain broader perspectives on issues in economic development and good governance in Nigeria.
- To foster employee engagement, and hence improve productivity amongst the participants.
Topics To Be Covered:
Redefining Public Service
Vision, Mission, and Organizational Strategy
Lessons in Contemporary Management
Personal Effectiveness & Time Management Skills
Developing Good Interpersonal & Team Skills
Emotional Intelligence and Attitude for Leaders
Effective Communication and Presentation Skills
Managing Financial Resources in Public Service
Budgeting and Budgetary Controls
Performance Management Best Practices
Driving Creativity and Innovation in Public Service
Economic Development and Good Governance Fundamentals
Public Private Partnerships: Key Imperatives
Corporate Governance, Ethics, and Risk Management in Public
Patriotism, Nationalism, and Civic Responsibility
Leadership Development in Public Service Beyond The Job: Achieving Work-Life Balance Parting Shots.
Who Should Attend?
- Senior Public Servants
- Executive Managers
- Heads of Department
- Permanent Secretaries
- Chief Executive Officers
- Board Members
Course duration: 5 days